Monday, August 1, 2011

oh, Tommi

Over the weekend, I visited Tucson's best vintage and antique furniture outlet, Tom's Fine Furniture. I try to stop by at least once a week, because you never know what you will find.  A pair of Dorothy Draper dressers  was there, and much to my surprise some Tommi Parzinger pieces. I feel a bit foolish, having just discovered him last year. But I am making up for lost time. Tommi Parzinger was born in Germany, came to the United States in the mid thirties and was designing furniture and accessories all the way through the 70's. The peak of his success, however, was in the 50's. His work has a colorful exuberance that provided a welcome contrast to the more subdued and angular Bauhaus designers of his era. Colorful leather panels and curly nailhead patterns adorn pieces that display decidedly Asian and Spanish motifs (my favorites!). Parzinger's work always features a surprise; a subdued breakfront sports a wild coral pink interior. A dresser interior is painted a bright contrasting color, hugely  oversized hardware grins at you from a clean-lined sideboard. Because personality shines through his work, his design aesthetic makes me happy. Take a look at a few pieces I found on 1st Dibs and tell me what you think!

blog 080111


No comments:

Post a Comment