Friday, August 19, 2011

BeBe Benedict

 Yesterday I moved my one of my smart, gorgeous daughters into a  dormitory to start her freshman year of college.  I am a bit lonely for her so I thought I would share her favorite breakfast with you. Don't be intimidated by poached eggs, if you follow a few simple tricks you will get it right on the first try.


1. Simmer about 5 inches of water in a saucepan. Bring water to a boil, then turn down so it is just below the boiling point,
2. Meanwhile, crack an egg into a small glass dish or measuring cup. If you break the yolk, start over. Set aside.
3. Slice a tomato as though you are putting it on a hamburger, parallel to the top. In this case, I used sliced cherry tomatoes. Drizzle a little olive oil on one slice of tomato and set it aside. Seed, halve and slice an avocado into 8 little wedges. Set aside two slices and store the rest.
4. Using a wooden spoon or a large metal spoon, create a whirlpool in the simmering water. Quickly pick up the glass dish and ease the egg into the center of the whirlpool. Set the timer for 3-4 minutes, depending on egg size and whether you like a runny center. At this point, you may put the bread in the toaster.
5. As soon as the toast is done, put it on a plate and drizzle it lightly with olive oil. Stack the slice of tomato on the toast, followed by the avocado slices, with the skinny side of the wedge facing in so that the slices make a little "o".
6.By this time, your egg should be like a small white package simmering in the water,make sure it has cooked enough to be safe then remove it. Using a slotted spoon, lift the egg out of the water, let it drain for a minute then ease it onto the angled stand you have made out of the avocado. Salt and pepper and yum! The egg mixes nicely with the avocado and tomato and makes a really healthy start to a demanding day at school.
Fortunately, my younger daughter is a big fan of this breakfast as well-- I will still be making it several times a week. Have a great weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. Miss you too!!! I also am missin real food...I have a newfound appreciation for 3 squares a day.

    ReplyDelete