Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tile and Soapstone

 I will be on the road all day today, but wanted to share my finds from last week. I am working on counter and backsplash for a client's kitchen and found these gorgeous options:


This is Metropolitan Soapstone, from Brazil. Its surface is a lovely, matte finish that needs to  be oiled to see the color and figure of the stone. The guys at the yard put water on it to show the color.  I had to go to Phoenix to find it, but it was worth the trip. It is hard, heat resistant stone that will last a lifetime in style and function. I always  visit the stone yard and physically view any stone slab under consideration. There are many different names used for the same type of stone and I don't want any surprises! If we select this stone, I will need to examine these photos with the stone fabricator and decide exactly where each piece will be placed within the kitchen plan.


This is the fabulous Rohl farmhouse-style sink we will use in the kitchen. The front of the sink will be exposed, with the faucet set into the soapstone top.

My clients is are avid bakers so we planned their kitchen with a section of marble for rolling out dough. This is fine, statue grade marble. Hers will be different grade, Carrara Marble that displays a lot more gray tones and has a honed (matte) finish. This slab is so shiny you can almost see my reflection!


Hand -formed, hand painted terra cotta tile from TABARKA. A thick, organic look perfect for the kitchen backsplash or walls in the bathroom.

SZYZGY tile, from New Mexico, are some of my favorites for color and textures. All handmade tile in imaginative patterns and colors.

More SZYZYGY tiles -- these come in a pre-set pattern.

Love this Moorish pattern.  Although I am considering lots of tiles for the kitchen backsplash but this one in various shades of green is probably going to win out.

More TABARKA Classic  -style tile, with an updated twist. It almost seems like something you might see in a villa in Pompeii.

I can see this TABARKA tile with a tonal grout used as a wainscot treatment in the hall bath.  I love the edges of terra cotta red peeking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment