Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sour cream coffee cake

 Last night at 8 o'clock I remembered that I needed to bring a coffee cake for an event at my daughter's school at 7:00 this morning...after I finished digging through the refrigerator and throwing away half of what I found the holy grail of last minute cooking showed its blessed face.. sour cream! The expiration date was remarkably far off so I pulled this old recipe out of my notebook and got to work. I have no idea where this came from, but I  know it well enough that mutiny was inevitable if I didn't have some for the family at home. I made two.


"Old School" Style coffee cake.
3/4 c. butter 
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla
1 c. sour cream
2 c. flour ( I use some whole wheat,about half a cup it helps redeem a total health disaster in this recipe)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
topping:
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. chopped pecans
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp. melted butter

Mix topping together and set aside. 
Preheat oven to 375
Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Stir in sour cream. Sift together dry ingredients and add to butter mixture, stir just to mix. Pour half of batter into prepared tube pan. Spread with half of the topping and cover with the rest of the batter. This is challenging, the batter is stiff so put small amounts in like drops. Sprinkle with the rest of the topping. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I am headed out to clip some greens from a neighbor's house for Thanksgiving arrangements that you'll see tomorrow. Have a happy fall day!




No comments:

Post a Comment