Monday, August 22, 2011

Saltillo Serapes



When I first visited  the Southwest, I took very little interest in art and folk art from the region. Deep in my own artistic pursuits, it all seemed tacky to me. When we moved here in '94 I had more time to take a longer look. A collector friend introduced me to the beauty of  Mexican Saltillo  Serapes and Native American Blankets -- and I discovered my parents had one hanging in their guest room! It now hangs in my hallway and is one of my prized possessions. Last week while thumbing through the new Crate and Barrel catalog I spied some Saltillo inspired pillows and thought about how the bold geometric patterns  mix well with modern and traditional interiors that are not specifically Southwestern.


First, a few beauties from The Alfred I Barton Collection of Southwestern Textiles .



Serrated Design Blanket
ca. 1880-1890, 63" x 40", Mexico


Third Phase Chief's Blanket, Native American
ca. 1870, 56" x 45"


Saltillo, Indigo Blanket
ca. 1870, 100" x 54"

And mine....


Saltillo Blanket, ca. 1900.
 These bold patterns provide  much character in a room; they add a masculine feel to a room that has soft edges and an organic sentiment to a room that seems too stark and modern. Below, some ideas for mixing in bold Saltillo-inspired patterns.


SW


No comments:

Post a Comment