Monday, November 14, 2011

Open Studio Tour

 Saturday afternoon I had the pleasure of visiting the studios of several Tucson artists through the Tucson-Pima Arts Council Open Studio Tour. I try to see at least a few every season. This year 138 artists participated, and if the eight or ten that I saw are any indication, there is high quality art being produced in this city. I was thrilled to make use of the QR scanner on my I phone for the first time, the maps, websites and contact information provided by the council was helpful in finding studios located all over the city and county.

First stop was in my own neighborhood, at the Goldman/Phinney Studio where Jackie Goldman and Martha Phinney live and work. I have followed Jackie's work for several years, ever since I spotted a few pieces while helping design her bookcases.

A note about my photos in this post:  I tried to stay out of the way and let the artists deal with interested customers, so bear with my quick shots.
  First, Jackie Goldman:


















This guy came home with us.


 The open studio concept, in my opinion, is genius. Not only are the paintings available for sale, but the visitor gets to see a more personal view  of the artist through their working (and often living) space. I am fascinated by their collections and possessions and artwork from other artists that they own.



Jackie's wall of talavera.





Beautiful, , moody watercolors by Martha Phinney.


Next we headed downtown to the Citizen's Artists Warehouse. I love walking into the strong scent of linseed oil, and this location did not disappoint.


First: Joe Hatton : Heavily textured and kinetic pieces with a wonderful, exuberant use of color. I would own any of them!







Gavin Hugh Troy:  The dark, moody lighting in his studio set off wonderful shadows in the wood collage pieces. The work table, filled with wood blocks, prints and tools is a lovely microcosm of his work.






  Titus Castanza 

 Excellent, emotionally charged portraiture in a tidy and spacious studio.




Take some time to visit and purchase from artists in your community-and if you visit Tucson, plan to come during one of our bi-annual Tucson Pima Arts Council Open Studio Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment