Thursday, November 17, 2011

Great Garden, Great School

 When I volunteered to provide transportation for my daughter's high school dance tour of elementary schools I had no idea that I would happen upon a beautiful garden. Borton Primary School already played a large part in our lives, both of my daughters attended the school and we remain friends with their kindergarten teacher and many of their classmates. I heard there was now a vegetable garden and chickens- but I didn't know it would be so inspiring, even in winter. I plan to get back at harvest time and take some more pictures but here are a few.

A beautiful mural, installed with the help of the Ben's Bells Project . The chicken coop is on the far left.

Harvested gourds and mosaic garden art.

Gourd vines climb a sculpture/fence of re-purposed bicycle parts.

Late tomatoes on the vine.
A terra cotta bird bath outside a portable classrom.

The chore board.
Beautiful work from small hands.

The farm stand where the vegetables are sold, farmer's market style, to local families. This garden is an excellent lesson in many ways for these very young kids!

To read more about the garden, click here and here .

No comments:

Post a Comment