Friday, September 30, 2011

New Color Palette

My daughter has officially moved out of her bedroom and into a dorm. As soon as she moved out, I could tell that the sweet pink we painted her room a few years ago was dingy and damaged. My most wonderful and patient husband agreed to help me paint a pure, simple grey/ white color. A color that would allow the walls to show her paintings well and be simple enough to make it a peaceful guest room.

Of course, I had to overhaul some of the accessories as well. I made an upholstered headboard out of plywood and foam and covered it with a beautiful linen screen print fabric that I picked up at that mecca for creative souls, SAS fabrics here in Tucson. I won't bore you with the instructions for the headboard, you can find them all over the net on various DIY websites. This is the original palette for the room, showcasing a wonderful vintage pagoda-style candlestick I picked up at one of my favorite thrift stores, The Assistance League of Tucson.


Hmmm....kind of sedate. I think I'll add a shot of fabulous color.




Okay- the palette works.. now how can I bring in the orange and pink and red?




Some basic tools, a bright piece of vintage fabric, and some help from Tony at my local hardware store and I am on my way.


 Little plastic feet stuck on the bottom help make height for the cord.





I found a pre-glued shade at the fabric store. The protective paper acts as a template





 Stuck on, nice and smooth.




The best part about these candlesticks are that there are two! Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I bet a headboard made from an old antique, horsehair couch would look lovely in your other child's room. I need to move it in the next 2 weeks. I have brought home the storage shed and need to make space. Can put the couch in a friend's garage.

    ReplyDelete